18.6.04

Opportunity knocked, and I turned him away

A headhunter called me today, offering a position in "one of these Taiwanese companies" as a J2ME developer. When asked if the job involves making games, he vaguely mentioned that games are "part of their products and services". I politely turned him down, because I'm holding out for some opportunities that are promised to me down the pipeline by my current boss.

But after I hung up, I realized that it could probably have been what I've been waiting for. A job at a company that makes games, and being Taiwanese, it could mean a stepping stone for me to go regional, or even global, considering Taiwan's relationship with the US. Of course, another factor is the current political situation in Taiwan, and between Taiwan and China. I'm not sure if it would be the best time to be employed by a Taiwanese company.

But like I said earlier, I'm holding out for those opportunities that are coming down the pipeline. The problem is, of course, if those things never happened, I'm gonna be really hard on myself for missing out on this job.

*sigh*

Right now, I'm thinking I should've learned more about the job and the company, at least, or maybe even gone for an interview to meet the boss and see if I like him. (According to one of my colleagues, Taiwanese companies have this bad habit of only caring about the bottom line. Meaning really tight and well nigh impossible deadlines, like at my first job. At least, in my current job I can look forward to fairly steady working hours and transport compensation.).

Oh well, my friends say that if they really need someone with my skills, they might call again (and they might sweeten the pot a little bit, too.). We'll see.

No comments: