29.3.04

Women and work: The missing link discovered?

I bumped into several girls that I knew in school over the last few weeks, and one thing that struck me was this: Those that are still in school has maintained their figure and look exactly the way I remembered them. But those who had graduated and are working have put on weight. And I don't mean a pound or two of flesh, I mean really putting in weight.

Please, indulge me. Let me give you one example. One of them is this girl who was a runner and a swimmer. She was a skinny little thing. Now, she's got double chin and an overhang (you know, like when your tummy dribbles over your waistband?)! Is it something that strikes women when they start working? Or is it some chemical thing that happens to them after a certain age and/or milestone has been passed? Or is it just the combination of stress plus ice cream/chocolate/insert-your-favorite-comfort-food-here?

This is a mystery to me and I aim to solve it, dammit!

Ladies, leave your thoughts, please. Tell me why this happens, and if this is a common thing or it just happens to my friends? Guys, does this happen to the girls you knew in school as well? Muchas gracias!

No comments: